Polished concrete flooring continues to grow in demand, and for reasons we can all appreciate. These floors are beautiful, affordable, low maintenance and incredibly durable. Homeowners and business owners alike are finding the function and style they seek with polished concrete. Flores Decorative Concrete knows concrete, and we are experienced in concrete polishing. Let us create beautiful, functional flooring for your home, office or warehouse.
Polished Concrete 101
What is it? Well, polished concrete is, of course, concrete, but it is processed for aesthetics and functionality. Using large machinery with an abrasive, rotating base, concrete is ground until it is smooth. The options available for polished concrete are endless. It can be dyed to reveal both rich and subtle colors. It can also be scored to create borders, shapes, tile-like looks, and more. Polished concrete can inspire, and reflect, and represent numerous personality and design elements within a home or business.
The Benefits of Polished Concrete
Polished concrete brings innumerable benefits to homes and businesses, enhancing both residential and commercial settings.
- Eliminating the incremental cost of traditional floor covering materials, using slab on grade as the finished floor surface saves money in the building phase.
- Given its durability, especially over many common finished floor surfaces on the market today, polished concrete flooring has a very long life span, which also saves the home or business owner money in the long-run.
- Its durability also makes polished concrete the smart choice for very high foot (or shopping cart) traffic areas, where routine maintenance would be a requirement for most of the more common floor surfacing solutions available today.
- With its easily maintained high gloss shine, polished concrete reflects a clean, modern and sophisticated appearance.
- Polished concrete is easy to clean, usually requiring nothing more than a damp mop. No special solutions or machinery are necessary to get the job done.
- The high-gloss finish resists stains and other markings, also adding to the ease of cleaning and long-term durability features of polished concrete.
- The high-gloss also reflects light, which can cut down on electric lighting costs, a noteworthy benefit to business owners, and it manifests a bright atmosphere.
- Polished concrete is environmentally friendly. There are no hazardous chemicals in the surfacing. There is no need for strong cleaning solutions. The are no potentially toxic materials used in the application of the flooring.
- There is no risk of moisture being trapped and causing damage with polished concrete because there are no sub flooring layers.
- Polished concrete can be dyed or stained in virtually any color. It can be scored to display patterns, borders and more. The design options available with polished concrete are incredible. You dream it, we create it.
Polished concrete is very easy to maintain, but there are some commonsense steps one should take to keep their floor looking its best for the longest amount of time possible. The amount and type (feet, versus lots of feet, versus carts, versus forklifts) of traffic will impact the life of the polish. But, generally speaking, the following is all that is needed in the way of routine maintenance:
- Keep dust and dirt particles off the floor by lightly dust-mopping as needed. Avoid leaving debris that could etch or cloud the surface of the polished floor if left in place too long.
- Try to clean up spills and staining agents quickly so they won’t eventually absorb into the floor.
- When wet mopping, use clean water and a clean mop. If a cleaning agent is desired, it should be a neutral one.
- Depending on the environment and traffic, one may find the sporadic use of an automatic floor scrubber a good way to thoroughly clean the polished concrete surface.
Finish Options for Concrete Polishing
Take a look through our gallery for ideas and inspiration. We polish concrete in living rooms, kitchens, garages, warehouses, showrooms and more.
Ready to talk ideas? Contact us today!
Frequently Asked Questions About Concrete Polishing
Do I have to start with freshly poured concrete?
Nope. In most cases, we can successfully polish any structurally sound concrete. In some cases, additional prep work, including leveling and patching, may be involved to achieve the best results. Old stains, oil deposits and the like may not always be removable, but with the many finish options available today, we can make what you have beautiful.
Do I need to have a color or stain in my polished concrete?
Not unless you want one. The natural grey color of concrete polishes up beautifully. Take a peek at our design picture gallery.
I want it to shine, but not too shiny?
That works! Concrete polishing is a multi-step process. Progressive grinding and buffing takes place to reach a shine in the surface, and we can stop at any step to get the look you seek.
What if I want to add something to my concrete?
Colored aggregate, glass and other small items can be incorporated into wet concrete. The same polish technique is used here and these items will display beautifully.